Tuesday, February 20, 2007

MAKING A SNOWMAN


Yesterday we found this page on a magazine where you use some cut-outs to make a face for a snowman. So, I cut the oranges and coals (for eyes), the carrot and eggplant (for the nose) and the leaf and banana (for the mouth).

Nikki wanted to do it so I just gave him all the cut-outs and readied the camera to take a photo of what he'll come up with. As usual, he used the "obvious" choices for the face (oranges, carrot and banana). When I told him to make use of the other cut-outs, he decided to use the coals for buttons and then put the eggplant on the snowman's hand and the leaf on the snowman's bucket hat. It wasa nice picture and Nikki was proud of his work.

Ethan was watching close by and he wanted to try it too. So, I let him. Ethan's was more creative, I suppose. He used a coal for the nose and a carrot for a button and then he placed the eggplant and the leaf on each of the snowman's mittens. That really freaked Nikki out and he wanted to "fix" Ethan's work. It took all of my strength to hold him back just so Ethan could have a go at the activity. They were really funny and really, in this simple activity you could see how different Nikki and Ethan are as individuals. I had as much fun watching them as they were doing the activity. =D
.....





"I want this carrot for the nose..."













"Almost done..."






"Look mommy! My snowman has a face!"








Ethan gives it a try.











Ethan's work. A very unique snowman with non-matching buttons. =D