Thursday, February 22, 2007

TEAR-JERKER

This is a really lovely letter. I hope someday my kids will be like this too...


My Helper

One night, we were getting ready for our evening routine. The kids were in bed, and I was getting ready to read from our nighttime book. My 3 year old daughter Gina started to grumble, "I want to read something different tonight."

Then my 5 year old son Mikey chimed in, "Mommy, I know what to read, I'll go get it!"
"Okay", I said. I wanted to see what he had in mind.


So he ran out to where we keep all our homeschooling books. A few moments later MIkey came running in and jumped into bed. He brought a counting book.

He blurted out, "Mommy, I want to teach Gina counting, she always gets it wrong."
"Okay you can.", I said. Without a blink they jumped into bed together and snuggled up. Then I began to witness one of the most joyous moments of my life.


I watched as my 5 year old son began reading to his little sister and proceeded to teach her how to count. "Now Gina, do you see this, that's a...", he began.

I almost started to cry right there on the spot. I had to fight hard to keep from crying. I knew it would really confuse them. So I just sat quietly and soaked up the moment.

It reminded me of one of the most important reasons I homeschool. It's not just me teaching my child. It's all about the bonding and family. When one child teaches another, their knowledge deepens, and thier love grows, and I cry some more!

-J.N-