Monday, April 9, 2007

TAMING TEMPER TANTRUMS

I really hate it when Ethan has a tantrum in public. He screams and sometimes throws his bottle on the floor. I sometimes am at a loss with what to do with this kind of behavior but I know it's his way of expressing himself because he is still not verbally competent. But still, I really don't like it when Ethan puts up a fuss. So, hopefully this article will help me out (and other moms like me out there...)

.....

TAMING TEMPER TANTRUMS


http://parenting.ivillage.com/tp/tpbehavior/0,,6wr6,00.html


Toddlerhood is filled with magical moments. As your child learns to navigate the world, she will delight you with her insights. And chances are, she will also test you when things don't go her way. Particularly when things don't go her way in the middle of a very crowded, public place.

Then, your little angel will show the world how loud she can scream. This is known as a "temper tantrum," and there is a reason that very phrase can make even the most calm parents shudder. Here, the parents of Parent Soup share their best advice on dealing with the inevitable toddler temper tantrum.

"My daughter is 21 months old and is prone to throwing herself down on the ground and screaming and kicking. I just let her ride it out. I reassure her calmly and quietly that I am there for her verbally, but I let her have her fit. I find that it passes much more quickly than if I react to her. It seems she wants me to have a reaction, so I just don't. She is very strong-willed and knows what she wants and doesn't want. I want to foster that in her, but do not want to reinforce this behavior. Also, if she is having a tantrum because of something I want or do not want her to do, I make sure that I 'win' if it is important. If I give in to her, she will learn that this unacceptable behavior will help her get her way whenever and wherever she wants."

"I have a two-year-old daughter who has terrible tantrums. I just let her be when she exhibits this behavior. When she is finished, she comes up to me and says, 'I'm done now Mommy!' and gives me a big hug."

"When my now three-year-old was two and had started his temper tantrums, I took him to the tantrum corner. Then I encouraged it. I told him to wait until I had left the room then he could start. I reminded him not to forget to stomp his feet. Essentially I was condoning it and that took all the fun out of it and he stopped. I would say he had about three and then he didn't do it anymore because he wasn't getting anything out of it. He was getting a sore throat and nobody responded to it."

"My oldest two didn't have temper tantrums, but my youngest is. If we do not hold her or let her have her way, she will either sit down where she is and just start crying or she will lie on the floor and start screaming. At home it can be quite funny, but when we're out and she does it, I become quite embarrassed. I don't think my husband realized how bad she can be with her tantrums until today when she did it to him in Walmart."

"When we are at home and my daughter throws a tantrum, I, in general, take her to her room and leave here there until she realizes Mom won't put up with it. When we are in public, she usually gets sat in the cart and continues to scream, with me rushing to get my shopping done so I can get out of there and the child home. But my baby isn't even two yet, and disciplining her for a tantrum she is throwing because she is tired or just wants to be with mommy isn't something I do.

"My son, who is 15 months old, has temper tantrums all the time! I usually just let him have his tantrum. Since we can't communicate what the 'real' problem is, I believe this is the easiest way. I always keep one thing in mind: 'We choose our battles, is this one worth it?'"