Tuesday, May 1, 2007

SPIDER



We found this little spider after I showered the boys one evening. It was hiding behind the bottles of body wash and I only noticed it because it moved a bit. When I saw it, I showed it to Nikki and Ethan. Of course, they were fascinated. Then I realized that it was a perfect learning tool. So then and there, we reviewed about spiders. Nikki already knows that insects have 6 legs and since the spider has 8, it's not an insect. Since he could not pronounce arachnid perfectly, I let it go and just told him that the spider belonged to a different group entirely. I let them look at the spider closely and see the different lengths of its legs, the coloring, the size, and how different it looked from other bugs. I also told Nikki that spiders eat insects and bugs but bigger spiders eat bigger animals like frogs and such. And with that, our short lesson on spiders ended. Thankfully, the spiders in the Philippines are not poisonous. Just creepy. =D