Sunday, June 24, 2007

AAAAARGH!!!

When will this ever end?

A few hours ago, we were eating lunch. Nikki wanted to get water from the refrigerator but Ron, my brother-in-law was in the way. So Nikki said, "Tito Ron, I want some water please." And Ron said, "So, what do you say?" And Nikki said, "Excuse me, Tito Ron." AND THEN my mother-in-law said, "That is exactly why Nikki should go to school, so he will learn words like 'excuse me'." Uh, didn't he just say it? I reeeeeally felt so bad!! I just felt like I was belittled in front of the family. And again, Ruther was not here to defend me. =(

Now don't get me wrong. I love my mother-in-law. She is hardworking and diligent and very amiable. But we just have the wrong ideas in rearing kids. I prefer to teach my boys here at home. I KNOW I can give them the best education this way. She thinks that the best way for them to learn is at school. That's simply where the problem lies. So now, I tell Nikki, "The next time lola (grandma) asks you to go to school, just tell her that you are homeschooled." So there. At least this way, Mama won't feel insulted. She might feel slighted if I said it myself. Sigh.

I know I'm a sensitive person but for me, this is a sensitive issue. I CHOOSE to homeschool my boys not because I don't want them to go to school but because I know this is what's best for us now. So okay, maybe in the future the boys will want to try traditional schooling, that's perfectly fine by me. As long as I know that my boys are thriving and learning their own way, then I have no complaints. But for now, all I want is to be able to educate my boys MY way, the homeschooling way.