Friday, June 22, 2007

CUSTOMIZED LEARNING

Another letter from a homeschooling mom from homeschoolfreestuff.

Customized Homeschooling

Currently my husband and I homeschool our 9 children. We realized early on, (usually within the first few minutes of life) that they were all very different. I knew each one would need to learn according to what suited thier learning techniques and styles.

Well, needless to say, I was taught in the lovely public school system and we all had to learn the same thing at the same time. My kids all have different interests and teaching my daughter about bow season and my son about horses just would not keep them motivated for long.

So to create something they would enjoy and would also learn from, they do a "fact-sheet" every week on something they have interest in. It can be an animal, a vacation spot, or anything they WANT to learn about. They look forward to researching and just plain learning about whatever they choose to write about.

I then once a month have them write a report on one of the fact sheets they wrote about. I have learned so much from them also! Also, We have family time on Friday's where they each read the fact sheets to the younger ones of the family -- and they love it also! The older ones feel so proud and smart ;)!

Hope this gives someone a new fresh idea for their homeschool!

H. Jones