Tuesday, July 17, 2007

ETHAN AND THE MOUSE

Ethan has finally discovered the use of the mouse. Before, when I would teach him how to use it, he would press the right button instead of left-clicking it. But lately, he has been getting the hang of it and last night, he was so engrossed with the games in noggin.com (which are perfect for his age) that he was able to sit in front of the computer for 2 straight hours!! I wanted to halt his studying/playing after the first hour but he didn't want to. I suppose he was making up for all the months he was not able to play on the computer because of difficulty in mouse-clicking. So I let him be. That's one benefit of homeschooling: a flexible schedule. I was really surprised at Ethan's resilience and concentration while he played. Usually, Ethan has a short attention span. He would not be able to keep still for long. Even when he eats, he would pick up the food then walk around while eating. So last night was a really pleasant surprise. He really loved playing at noggin.com that whenever Nikki would approach him to give him some tips, he would protest loudly. I was really proud of Ethan last night. Even if I did lament to Ruther that Ethan would not pay attention to me when I tried reading to him in the past, I'm still happy at this latest development. This tells me that Ethan takes his time in learning and no amount of pushing or prodding from me will help until he is good and ready.