Thursday, August 16, 2007

A REALLY NEAT IDEA

from a homeschooling mom (homeschoolfreestuff).

Encouraging Kids To Learn On Their Own

I think that some structured school for younger kids is very important, but I also think that encouraging kids to learn and explore "school" on their own is equally important.

I keep a cupboard that is right at the kids level stocked with all sorts of school type stuff. I have construction paper, writing paper, glue, scissors and that kind of school stuff in there.

But I add new things in there all the time. I add books that are their level and are about subjects that I think might interest them. I stick fun and educational workbooks or cool new board games in the cupboard. And I add other cool things like bags of fabric scraps, pipe cleaners, empty jars and anything else that I think might get them exploring our world.

The kids know that they can go in this cupboard whenever they want and use whatever they want in it. It is their space. Sometimes that ask for help with projects but most of the time between the three of them (ages 2 to 7) they do amazing things.

We've used fabric scraps for everything from doll clothes to parts of castles. I can't ever seem to keep enough paper in there because they communicate so much with drawings, maps, stories (even just scribbles from the youngest.) It also helps make choosing topics easy for me because they go in the cupboard and come out with something they want to learn!

And it's fun for me to find new things to stick into our big "school box"!

~Renee Canham, Murrieta CA~